[Sderby] SCSI disk idling. (?)

Christopher Gavin gubbs at fudo.org
Wed Jan 21 12:29:25 GMT 2004

hey does anyone know if its possible to spin down idle scsi disks in a
similar fashion to ide hdparm -y /dev/hdX? I dont think its healthy for
the life of my disks to have 15 spinning indefinately depsite not being
used for 14 hrs at a time ..

for my ide servers I simply put a line in crontab executing hdparm -y
every 15 mins. works just fine.
I am not running any demons or loggers that require persistent write
bursts, so I'd like to rest the scsi only boxes inbetween periods of
actiivty as well. they're not new disks and even scsi disks die
eventually ..

any suggestions warmly welcomed.

C~