[Sderby] SCSI disk idling. (?)

David Jolley dave at lucien.cx
Wed Jan 21 13:46:40 GMT 2004

Christopher Gavin wrote:

>hmm sorry to reply to my own message but I found something ... a patch
>called scsi-idle.
>
>http://fresh.t-systems-sfr.com/linux/src/.warix/scsi-idle-2.4.23.tar.gz.html
>
>what it doesnt do however is spin down more than 1 disk at a time.
>
>which makes it kind of useless for a production server with 14 disks.
>
>so still looking ...

That daemon in the .tar.gz should do what you want, but you'll have to
have 1 daemon per disk in it's current state - I can see no code in it
to check for multiple instances of it being run, so you'll need to run
the daemon with the scsi device's device node /dev/sdx for each of the
/dev/sdx's that you have in the system.

Either that, or you have the source, modify it to probe for all SCSI
disks in the system and do them all automatically :)

Cheers

Dave