[Sderby] GNU/Linux on a bargain laptop

Richard Smedley richard.smedley03 at ntlworld.com
Mon Jun 14 10:26:09 BST 2004

James Gibbon wrote:

>>IBM THINKPAD 760 with Linux preloaded for UKP99 apparently :-)
>>

>I have to say that's a bit pricey for a Pentium 166 MMX with
>64MB RAM and a 3G hard disk.

It's actually pretty good. 2 years ago they were GBP250 with
16MB RAM and a smaller HDD (and no pre-loaded GNU).
Nowadays GBP150 is normally about the lowest you pay for
a 7 year old laptop. (the lack of battery explains the price
in this case).

The TP760 is a decent laptop, though iirc sound doesn't work
with the Linux kernel?

I picked up a TP560 the other day at Bowlers computer fair in
Manchester (GNU/Linux infopoints every month ;-) for GBP50
- a real bargain, but with no PSU or battery. It has no floppy or
CD either (slimline form-factor), so I've downloaded the manual
and I'm about to extract the HDD for a ``hardware cross-install''
probably of Crux <http://crux.nu>

But look in Micromart - you'll see 486 laptops for GBP150, and no
bargains comparable to this offer linked from the original post.
Portable GNU/Linux for leass than a ton? Sounds good to me :-)

 - Richard