[Sderby] GNU/Linux on a bargain laptop

Conrad Gavin gubbs at fudo.org
Mon Jun 14 19:29:36 BST 2004

> You can't really compare private sales with those of
> refurbishers, Conrad - many people prefer to have some
> sort of guarantee :)

The guarentee that you can take it back and tell them it broke? Its all
worthless unless you're inheriting a manufacturer's warranty .. which is
often worthless anyway. As all insurance is.

> Not only that - you're talking about fairly heavy and large
> laptops. Small size is always at a premium. Note the way
> little Sony Vaios, Fujitsu lifebooks, Compaq M300s and
> 32-bit Psions hold their value. 700MHz and a DVD is
> worthless if you find it too heavy to lug about and lift out
> of a bag to use on the train :-(

Granted .. most people go for peformance vs price  in my experience. I
wouldnt bother trying to use batteries in my laptop .. Its just not
worth the additional weight or expense.

> The TP 7xx are a reasonable size-vs-functionality compromise.
> The 5xx series is great - and everything works with GNU/Linux
> (sometimes older is better - try getting a Free Software OS onto
> a Sony TR2 :-(
> )

Heheh. The first thing I did when I got my 770X was bin the battery.
Then stripped it right down and took out all the unneccesary 'wadding':
screws, plates, the internal blower, the plastic lining between the mobo
and the case etc.

I also got rid of the dvd drive since it was crap .. and pulled out the
speakers (which were vast and clunky).

It assuredly weighs less than anything slimline. :)

Works great for transporting files between uni and home ...

Altho tbh, I can't stand TFT's or laptop keyboards so its all rather
academic. :P

G.