[Sderby] GNU/Linux on a bargain laptop

Richard Smedley richard.smedley03 at ntlworld.com
Mon Jun 14 16:32:55 BST 2004

Conrad Gavin wrote:

>Thats just laughable isnt it.
>
>Who in their right mind ... sheesh.
>
>I have a TP770X pw 300 (Deschutes) with 128 mb of ram and 6 gb HD + a
>1280x1024 screen, DVD rom etc. I paid 250 for it 2 years ago .. from
>

>EBAY!

You can't really compare private sales with those of
refurbishers, Conrad - many people prefer to have some
sort of guarantee :)

>I think, if you look on there you'll see that you can get ~ 700 mhz
>systems for the 250 mark.
>
>Not that I would. mind you. They're all ex-fleet crap with dead pixels.

Not only that - you're talking about fairly heavy and large
laptops. Small size is always at a premium. Note the way
little Sony Vaios, Fujitsu lifebooks, Compaq M300s and
32-bit Psions hold their value. 700MHz and a DVD is
worthless if you find it too heavy to lug about and lift out
of a bag to use on the train :-(

The TP 7xx are a reasonable size-vs-functionality compromise.
The 5xx series is great - and everything works with GNU/Linux
(sometimes older is better - try getting a Free Software OS onto
a Sony TR2 :-(
)

 - Richard