[Sderby] Linux on an old laptop revisited.

Graham Hamblin graham at hamblin24.f9.co.uk
Thu Mar 4 16:54:40 GMT 2004

Hi

About a week ago I posted asking for advice on putting Linux on an HP
OmniBook 5700CT because all my installs kept crashing out.   The answer
to that was 49Mb of memory which was not enough for the latest versions
of Linux.   When I got Slackware on all it would run was fvwm which was
disappointing.

I managed to recover SuSE Linux 7 Pro which I had given to my son in law
and it went on in text mode without a problem.   After the install I
put KDE on and configured it all, took a bit of jiggling, but it now
runs KDE using XGA and it all looks pretty impressive.

I now just have one problem.   Using Netscape and  K-Mail I can pop mail
from my server but it absolutely refuses to send SMTP in either.   In
Netscape it keeps asking for a password although none is set.   I have
racked my brain and can't come up with an answer.  Can you?

Poking around on the web I was actually able to get a full clour HP
service manual for the box which detailed how to strip it down to the
last nut and bolt.   I was impressed.

Thanks in anticipation of any replies.

Regards
Graham