[Sderby] This thing called Windoze.

Richard Smedley richard.smedley03 at ntlworld.com
Wed May 5 14:45:10 BST 2004

hemstock at tiscali.co.uk wrote:

>As I understand it in order for the manufacterer to use windblows, they
>need to sign an agreement with microshaft that they will buy a windows
>licence for every PC they build, regardless of whether that PC ships with
>windblows.  Although the machines you buy from Dell or whoever come with
>Red Hat, you are still buying an OEM windblows licence, the cost of which
>is hidden in the cost of the PC.

According to MS this is no longer the case - but unofficially,
who knows?

Nevertheless, HPaq and others are starting to supply GNU
desktops.

>According to the MS EULA, if you do not agree with the T&Cs you can return
>the product for a full refund.  If you goto Dell they will tell you to
>take it up with M$, if you goto M$, they will point you at Dell.

Yup - unless you live in Germany. Perhaps you could
order your box from Dell's German channel?

> A few
>years ago there was a windows return day in which Linux users all polled
>up at M$ and demanded a refund.  Although M$ laid on refreshments, I don't
>think anyone saw a refund.

=^)

> M$'s defence for this practise is to stop
>piracy.  In which case I guess they should force manufatures to buy an M$
>Office licence, a Visio licence, an M$ content management server licence,
>you get the picture.

FreeDOS is another alternative to OEMs...

>Your only options are firstly to search the web for a manufature which
>deals exclusivly in non M$ PCs or to build your own.

Well, things are changing. As well as HP and IBM, some smaller
companies are dipping toes in the water. Sun is selling GNU/Linux
desktops, but with plenty of non-Free software :-(

Don't forget Evesham - their desktops always get good reviews
in LXF - and uklinux's new mini-iTX multimedia boxes.

 - Richard