[Sderby] This thing called Windoze.

hemstock at tiscali.co.uk hemstock at tiscali.co.uk
Wed May 5 14:20:11 BST 2004

> Hiyer
>
> The other day I ordered a new box from Dell.   They refuse to supply it
> without Windoze pre-installed and I am awaiting delivery.
>
> I don't want Windoze in any shape or form having used Linux exclusively
> now for about ten years.
>
> Just wondering about the options.   When I boot the thing up will it
> give me the option of refusing the Microsoft licence?   If it does can
> I return it and get some dough back?   This stranglehold by the Gate's
> lot on the supply of new computers really pees me off.   Dell supply
> servers with RedHat installed and I would have gladly accepted RedHat
> without strings as an alternative to Windoze, not an option.
>
> Not a member of the man-lug group so any replies from there I would
> appreciate a CC to my address, thanks in anticipation.
>
> Regards
> Graham Hamblin.
>
> --
> Graham Hamblin
> S.u.S.E. Linux
> ==============

Graham,

As I understand it in order for the manufacterer to use windblows, they
need to sign an agreement with microshaft that they will buy a windows
licence for every PC they build, regardless of whether that PC ships with
windblows.  Although the machines you buy from Dell or whoever come with
Red Hat, you are still buying an OEM windblows licence, the cost of which
is hidden in the cost of the PC.

According to the MS EULA, if you do not agree with the T&Cs you can return
the product for a full refund.  If you goto Dell they will tell you to
take it up with M$, if you goto M$, they will point you at Dell.  A few
years ago there was a windows return day in which Linux users all polled
up at M$ and demanded a refund.  Although M$ laid on refreshments, I don't
think anyone saw a refund.  M$'s defence for this practise is to stop
piracy.  In which case I guess they should force manufatures to buy an M$
Office licence, a Visio licence, an M$ content management server licence,
you get the picture.

Your only options are firstly to search the web for a manufature which
deals exclusivly in non M$ PCs or to build your own.

Mike.