[Sderby] A bit more about M$

Paul Grosse paul-grosse at ntlworld.com
Wed May 5 15:04:57 BST 2004

I was at InfoSec 2004 last week and went into one of the seminar rooms just
as M$ was finishing off - people asking questions et cetera. When everybody
had finished the man asked asked if there were any more questions and then,
if there was anything that anybody would like to see in Windows. So, I
suggested a journalling file system at which point he laughed.

I got the impression that the M$ users there didn't know what one was and a
little bit of me suspects that he didn't either.

Surely, if you are in an environment where downtime is not tollerated,
getting your serer up and running again after a dirty shutdown (read 'power
failure' ) is the most important thing. Windoze take ages to check its FSs
but I know that with ReiserFS, it only takes a few seconds.

One thing that puzzled me, and everybody I spoke to about it, was what was
M$ doing at InfoSec anyway. Their stand seemed to be about a way of doing
updates better whilst another one, a little further down the aisle was
hacking into a firewalled IIS server - very easily.

IF you want to see an IIS server in action, look at my idiots list. There is
one there (first in the error log). It shows just what you can do with an
IIS server, if you happen to be a skript kiddie or zombie server (like this
one - the error log is from my Apache server). The idiots list is at
http://www.grosse.is-a-geek.com/idiots.html for anyone who wants a laugh
(_!_)

Paul Grosse