[Sderby] Re: Printers

James Gibbon james.gibbon at virgin.net
Thu Nov 18 12:46:30 GMT 2004

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 12:04:28 -0000 (GMT)
"David Bottrill" <david at bottrill.org> wrote:

> 9.2 is the latest version, I'm running it on my Athlon 64 and my Dell
> laptop and I can honestly say it's very very good. I downloaded Fedora
> Core 3 the other day just to check out the competition and all I can say
> is I don't know why people bother it's not worth wasting bandwidth
> downloading it.

My main issue with SuSE, and I've tried 9.0, 9.1 and 9.2 (pro as well
as personal in one case, but I can't remember which version) is that it
seems to be somewhat slow and bloated; running it with KDE both on my
Compaq desktop and my VAIO laptop (both 4 years old now) was murder;
very unresponsive - whereas Slackware (for example) is acceptably
quick and snappy running KDE, even on my old hardware.

I also had a problem with my display under SuSE that I've never had
with any other distro - very strange behaviour with the screen failing to
refresh properly and leaving black 'holes' all over the place when I closed
down windows.  I expect a buggy version of X is to blame.

I can never seem to get the screen resolution I want either.

I always end up going back to Slackware on my older boxes and Fedora
or Mandrake on my newer box; they are better-behaved on my hardware
at least.

James