[Sderby] Re: Printers

David Bottrill david at bottrill.org
Thu Nov 18 13:50:26 GMT 2004

James Gibbon said:

> My main issue with SuSE, and I've tried 9.0, 9.1 and 9.2 (pro as well
> as personal in one case, but I can't remember which version) is that it
> seems to be somewhat slow and bloated; running it with KDE both on my
> Compaq desktop and my VAIO laptop (both 4 years old now) was murder;
> very unresponsive - whereas Slackware (for example) is acceptably
> quick and snappy running KDE, even on my old hardware.
>
> I also had a problem with my display under SuSE that I've never had
> with any other distro - very strange behaviour with the screen failing to
> refresh properly and leaving black 'holes' all over the place when I
> closed
> down windows.  I expect a buggy version of X is to blame.
>
> I can never seem to get the screen resolution I want either.
>
> I always end up going back to Slackware on my older boxes and Fedora
> or Mandrake on my newer box; they are better-behaved on my hardware
> at least.

I've been running SuSE for years and can't say I've ever considered it to
be slow, even on my old PII 400 laptop. The biggest killer of performance
is insufficient RAM, with KDE and Gnome, Linux systems are now as memory
hungry as window$ and 256MB of RAM should be considered a minimum.

I've always used Nvidia video cards and have never had any problems for
instance 9.2 supports my new laptop's 1900x1200 wide screen resolution
with no problem at all. SuSE 9.2 supports my laptop's nvidia graphics card
and wide-screen LCD, my Intel 2100 (centrino wireless adapter), the
built-in bluetooth adapter, the DVD writer and it even supports scrolling
on the touchpad, which the Dell driver under window$ fails to do.

The only complaint I have is that SuSE doesn't support DVD playing and MP3
ripping out of the box for legal reasons, which is no great problem I just
download the relevant RPMs there are a couple of good sites for SuSE
related RPMS also I have found a site that has links to lots of 64bit RPMs
such that I can now play DVDs and rip CDs on my 64bit machine with no
problems.

There have been a couple of bad SuSE versions over the years 8.1 and 9.0
come to mind, but there is no comparison between 9.2 and FC3, and Mandrake
10 was extremely buggy on the Athlon XP machine I tested it on.

David

--
David Bottrill

david at bottrill.org