Roll out the red tarpit... [was Re: [Sderby] Linux mags]

Paul Grosse paul-grosse at ntlworld.com
Wed Nov 24 06:57:03 GMT 2004

On Tuesday 23 November 2004 19:42, Richard Smedley wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-11-23 at 19:12, Paul Grosse wrote:
> > In addition to spam, you can also endulge in gluing up phishing attacks
> > or spanish prisoner attacks by sending them a tarpitted email address. If
> > you want to, you can use my server for this by using an email address as
> > follows...
> > [any.name.you.like]@[anything.you.like].[info2|data2].mine.nu
> > where any name or thing are just letters and numbers (but not starting
> > with a number).
> > Several times a week, I get some phisher trying to email me for several
> > hours at a time (3.25 hours last time). The more there are, the longer it
> > will take them to annoy us.
>
> Well done that man - it's nice to see some
> public-spirited action like this :-)
>
> I'll have to give it a try when I finally get
> round to finishing rebuilding my server and
> taking it to the hosting service.
>
> btw it would make a good article in PCP :-)
>
>  - Richard
Is issue 224 out yet? There is how to build your own POP3 tarpit which is a
cut-down version of the one I use. If you encourage users to change the
tarpits slightly and differently, it makes them harder to profile.

The smtp tarpit is very configurable (you can make the spammer think you have
a suite of dozens of servers if you want, using different software - you can
go through that fun thing again of trying to think of a theme for server
names that will give you enough names for each machine on that subnet ;-) all
done through the one tarpit script.
--
Regards,

Paul Grosse