[Sderby] Hardware help.

Simon Hales s.hales at oldgasworks.org.uk
Fri Oct 1 22:13:43 BST 2004

On Fri, 1 Oct 2004, Harry Sheppard wrote:

> Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 20:15:06 +0100
> From: Harry Sheppard <harry at disgruntledgoat.com>
> Subject: Re: [Sderby] Hardware help.
>
> Hello,
>
> > Would be glad to hear other people's comments on running 64bit.
> Well, I've only run Gentoo/Athlon64, however it proved to be so reliable
> during testing that I now have a small farm of five dual-processor AMD64
> boxes acting as network video servers for non-linear editing suites:  It was
> a client being pikey and not wanting to buy Avid LanShare Unity EX that
> forced me to invent this solution, but it does work extremely well. The 3ware
> RAID controllers, gigabit network cards and the OS itself all seems extremely
> stable and well behaved. Use nVidia graphics cards, though - they're by far
> and away the best supported under AMD64. ATi's support is dire...

Reason I bought the Athlon64 is because my GeForce4 MX fried during a
game, I treated myself to a GeForce 6800GT (they had just come in to a
local place that week) to replace it then decided to bring the rest of the
system into compliance:-)  This, together with the shiny new 1500VA APC
Smart UPS totals about £1k of new kit during the summer holiday!

Money was a 1-off homeloss compensation payment from a while ago, so I
won't be able to do that again for a while!  Now means I have an Athlon
1333MHz system for yet another server.  This one will probably have UT
game server, big fat fileserver/mp3 store, backup-to-disk server and
LPRNG/Ghostscript/Apsfilter etc for printing.

Regards

Simon Hales