[Sderby] Re: Hardware and junk food help.

Richard Smedley richard.smedley03 at ntlworld.com
Fri Oct 1 22:20:48 BST 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-01 at 20:15, Harry Sheppard wrote:

> Incidentally, if anyone can shed any light as to why Sun call their ethernet
> controllers "HappyMeal" and "BigMac" I'd be intregued to hear it :-)

Well MAC stood, I think, for media access controller, and ``Big
Mac'' was a Sun Engineer's humourous term for Sun's first fast ethernet
chipset. Calling the next one ``Happy Meal'' was probably inevitable
for them. It's amazing how they can program so well after all that
junk food :-/

The first shows up as be under ifconfig, the latter as hme.

btw From drivers/net/sunhme.c ...

static void happy_meal_tcvr_write(struct happy_meal *hp,
                                  unsigned long tregs, int reg,
                                  unsigned short value)
{
        int tries = TCVR_WRITE_TRIES;

        ASD(("happy_meal_tcvr_write: reg=0x%02x value=%04xn", reg,
value));

        /* Welcome to Sun Microsystems, can I take your order please? */
        if (!hp->happy_flags & HFLAG_FENABLE)
                return happy_meal_bb_write(hp, tregs, reg, value);

        /* Would you like fries with that? */
        hme_write32(hp, tregs + TCVR_FRAME,
                    (FRAME_WRITE | (hp->paddr

 - Richard