[Sderby] Re: Modems

Paul Grosse paul-grosse at ntlworld.com
Thu Oct 7 17:32:57 BST 2004

On Thursday 07 October 2004 17:10, James Gibbon wrote:
> So that £20 is cheap indeed when you consider what a 9kbps modem would have
> cost you back in the '80s!

When I first went on the Internet, I used a 1200 baud modem. Once, I was
showing off to the wife, just how good this WWW thing was by clicking on a
link to download a 1MB sattelite image from a weather site. It took ages and
then it stopped part way through and we never saw any of it.

When I first started in computers, we had a terminal that went to the borough
computer via a 75 baud (that'sa almost 10 characters per second which is
almost as fast as the terminal) accoustic coupler (two rubber cups that you
push the telephone handset into). I remember playing hangman on it.

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.
--
Regards,

Paul Grosse