[Sderby] Meetings

Andre Hefer (smtp) andre.hefer at avhservices.co.uk
Sun Oct 10 14:05:51 BST 2004

On Thursday 07 October 2004 23:27, Mike Hemstock wrote:
> It has been brought to my attention that Sunday meetings lack a sense of
> purpose.  I think it would be a good idea if we could schedule something
> into the meetings.  In the past we have had C lectures, a Samba demo and a
> Smoothwall demo.  Does anyone have any idea for presentations that they
> would ether like to present or attend?  Shout in with ideas and I will see
> if I can get things organised.

Mike

I am not able to attend today's meeting. I would agree with the comment about
meetings lacking a sense of purpose. I think is is because there is a very
wide range of skills and interests within the attendees and little planning
in advance. Consequently, the meetings can range from very useful to a
complete waste of time, depending where the conversation goes.

Here are my suggestions:

(i) Publish the agenda in advance. Interested parties can make a point of
attending.
(ii) Break up into smaller groups. This allows discussions to vary by skill
set and topic of interest e.g. the W/LAN brigade may not be interested in
SAMBA.
(iii) Get the broadband link into the main building to work properly. It
really reduces the change of doing useful stuff.
(iv) Lets have some volunteers e.g formal demo's or specific help for first
time installs.
(v) Some really useful stuff comes up from time to time. Why can't we put them
on the web site as FAQ's

As you know I have offered to do a demo on Razor / Spamassasin.

I will try and make the next meeting.

Andre