[Sderby] BIND

Ashley Heath ashley.heath at bigfoot.com
Sun Sep 26 18:26:12 BST 2004

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 23:49:23 +0100
Mike Hemstock <hemstock at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I'm trying to setup DNS, but I'm finding it a bit of a BIND.  I have the
> server managing a domain and that works fine and I have another server
> managing a subdomain of the aforementioned domain and that also works fine.
> When both servers need to consult the root servers, this again works fine.
> However, what I cannot work out how to do is get the domain.com server to
> consult the sub.domain.com server when it needs to resolve names of the
> subdomain.  How should I configure BIND to know about the existence of the
> other server?
>
> Regards,
> Mike.

Correct me if I am wrong (its been a while), but as I understand it a single DNS master server is authorative for the whole domain, not just part of it. I think you will need to set up one of the servers as master for the domain and subdomain. Then add a secondary as backup if the master is offline (optional but recommended).

Ash