[Sderby] BIND

Dave Voorhis dave at armchair.mb.ca
Sun Sep 26 05:01:23 BST 2004

On Sat, 2004-09-25 at 23:49, Mike Hemstock wrote:

> I'm trying to setup DNS, but I'm finding it a bit of a BIND.  I have the
> server managing a domain and that works fine and I have another server
> managing a subdomain of the aforementioned domain and that also works fine.
> When both servers need to consult the root servers, this again works fine.
> However, what I cannot work out how to do is get the domain.com server to
> consult the sub.domain.com server when it needs to resolve names of the
> subdomain.  How should I configure BIND to know about the existence of the
> other server?

It's been digital aeons (i.e., about five years) since I've used BIND
(switched to tinydns), but from what I recall, unless there's a specific
reason not to do so, you may find it easier to set up one server to be a
master and the other a slave for the domain.  I.e., set up DNS Server A
as master for domain.com and sub.domain.com on Host A, and set up DNS
Server B as a slave for domain.com on Host B.