[Sderby] Whether spoons ban smoking

Mark Challener mark-challener at whippet89.freeserve.co.uk
Sun Feb 6 13:22:43 GMT 2005

Kris Adcock wrote:

> simon lewsley wrote:
>

>> venue change time?????  *plays violin for the smokers who go on a
>> Friday*
>>

> Will anyone be able to hear your violin, what with all the non-smokers
> playing the trumpet and dancing?
>
> Or is everyone who meets on a Friday a smoker?

90% of lung cancer is caused by smoking, either direct or passive.
There were about 33,600 deaths from lung cancer in the UK in 2002.
For every diagnosed case there are estimated to be 7 developing cases.
More than 95% of those diagnosed with lung cancer, die from it within 5
years of diagnosis.
Almost 20% of those diagnosed with lung cancer actually survive the
first year.
It is a not a pleasant way to die.
Incicdence of lung cancer in the UK is topped only by the 40,000 cases
of breast cancer per year.
We know how to reduce lung cancer incidence.  We are working very hard
to figure out how to reduce breast cancer occurence.
It's your choice, but I wouldn't wish any form of cancer on any of you.