[Sderby] Power over Ethernet

Derek Huskisson derek at huskisson.free-online.co.uk
Sat Jan 15 10:03:23 GMT 2005

On Friday 14 Jan 2005 16:28, Mike Hemstock wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I'm having trouble getting PoE to work through a firewall.  The device
> will not power up using PoE.  If I put a adapter directly into it I can
> see data traveling through the firewall, but not power.  I have ran
> tcpdump and there appears to be no power getting through.  I assume there
> must be a way to create rules to allow power through the firewall, but I
> have grepped the iptables man page and searched on google and can't find
> anything.  I tried doing iptables -F to flush the rules and allow anything
> through, but the firewall is still not passing power.  Does anyone know if
> there are any specific rules to enable power through iptables for Power
> over Ethernet enabled devices?  I assume Power over Ethernet travels via
> UDP?  Does anyone know what port its on?
>
> Mike.

  I might be misunderstanding the issue here but I thought that PoE used the
unused pairs in RJ45 wiring and so if the power doesn't get through the
firewall then its a conductivity problem between the input and output sockets
on the firewall and nothing to do with iptables or UDP etc.
  If this misses the problem all together then just quietly delete the email.

    Derek