[Sderby] Spamassassin

David Jolley djolley at gmail.com
Sat Jul 23 12:39:01 BST 2005

Ian,

I've used spamassassin heavily in the past.  I found the best way to
do it (as far as system resources are concerned) was to run spamd and
use spamc to run each message through - the startup time for the perl
interpreter on a per-message basis killed my machine when I had > ~20
messages at any given time.
Having got spamd running, I then use procmail to process the messages
and sort out where they are going to go.  I use a maildir delivery
system, so if you use mailboxes, simply omit the trailing / from the
rules.

In ~/.procmailrc, I have the following rules:

#Send the mail through spamd via the spamc client.
:0fw:spam.lock
|spamc

# Throw spam into it's own mailbox for future reference/checking.
:0
caught-spam/

You may, also, require the procmail environment to "know" where to
deliver the messages to. This is achieved with the procmail variables:

HOME=/home/dave
MAILDIR=$HOME/Mail
DEFAULT=$MAILDIR/Inbox/

Additionally, you may need a PATH variable to tell procmail where spamc is:

PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin

Adjust these to match where binaries are and where your mail is put -
and again, remove trailing / for a non maildir installation on the
mailbox placement.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dave