[Sderby] USB Floppy

David Bottrill david at bottrill.org
Thu May 12 08:42:56 BST 2005

David Williamson said:
> Anyone got any experience of mounting a swappable USB floppy drive that
> comes with a Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop under SUSE 9.1?
>

> I can't work out how it's done. There doesn't seem to be any problem
> accessing the CD drive when it's installed in the same bay, but no joy
> with
> the floppy drive.

I have a Inspiron 8600 but unfortunately don't have a floppy drive to test
with it. I have a Sony USB flopy drive and I have sucessfully used it with
my Althlon 64 running SuSE 9.3

Are you sure the drive you have is USB, A.F.A.I.K? the Dell swappable
slots uses ATA / standard floppy signals not USB. If you are slotting the
floppy drive into the laptop's internal Bay they I would try booting it
with floppy drive installed in order for SuSE to discover it for the first
time. Also check the BIOS setting to make sure it reports the presence of
the floppy drive even when it's not installed it's called something like
report floppy to Windows 95.

If you have an external carrier into you can slot a drive, be aware these
usually only support either a CDROM or a floppy drive, but usually not
both.

David

--
David Bottrill