[Sderby] USB Floppy

Paul Grosse paul-grosse at ntlworld.com
Thu May 12 09:09:58 BST 2005

David Williamson said:
> Anyone got any experience of mounting a swappable USB floppy drive that
> comes with a Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop under SUSE 9.1?
>

> I can't work out how it's done. There doesn't seem to be any problem
> accessing the CD drive when it's installed in the same bay, but no joy
> with
> the floppy drive.

This might not work but it is worth a try. I take it that you are using KDE as
you are using SuSE 9.1. If so, you should be able to do this...

If you press [Ctrl][Alt][F10], you will get a screen full of the messages your
computer gemerates.

If you hold down a key such as [=], it will produce a line of ===========...
you can use this to see what is happening.

If you then plug in your USB floppy (turned on or it will be if it gets its
power from the USB port), after a few seconds, you should see some lines
appearing on the screen. formatted along the lines of
[date/time] [host name] kernel: sdd [some other stuff...]
where sdd could be sda, sdb, something else and so on.

That is where in /dev, your device will be found.

Next, go back to your desktop (usually by pressing [Ctrl][Alt][F7] unless you
have a second desktop up from whence you came which will work by pressing [F8
instead of F7 (and so on).

Load up KDE Info Center [sic] and click on Storage devices in the left pane.
You should now see your device in the list of mounted devices in the right
pane.

Click on your new device and select 'Mount Device' from the menu and it should
mount it in the system. If you click on it again and select 'Open in file
manager', Konqueror will open and yon will see your device.

Remember to go back to Info Center to unmount it before you unplug it.

--
Regards,

Paul Grosse

http://www.grosse.is-a-geek.com/