[Sderby] Re: Sderby Digest, Vol 113, Issue 2

Ted Smith tedsmith28 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Nov 7 18:50:29 GMT 2006

"I am starting to think that some kind of forum would be advantageous
for all this exciting discussion. Email lists are *so* 1999."
sderby-request at mailman.lug.org.uk wrote:

I totally agree. I am no good with e-mail circulars. I find them hard to
read, and midly irritating when you have to open up several. I am also a
member of the Ubuntu Linux UK Team and they also use a e-mail circular
like this one. I suggested making a quick and basic site (I created
www.f3.org.uk and www.lost-doggies.com) with a discussion forum to make
it easier to follow threads of discussion. I offered to host it etc too.
But I got shot down in flames and everyone basically suggested that I
was some kind of weirdo because I preferred a web based discussion
format than e-mail. I was shocked, but accepted it. Suffice to say that
as a result I often delete several mails because theyre' just too much
like hard work when time is at a premium.

In the case of the DLUG, there's already a site setup so all we need to
do is upload vBulletin or something and it's sorted. Everyone can access
it from anywhere, easily, and discussions can be followed easily and
recorded for prosperity etc.

Ted