[Sderby] Re: The future of SDerby LUG

Richard Smedley smedley358 at btinternet.com
Fri Nov 10 14:22:59 GMT 2006

On Friday 10 November 2006 13:36, Andy Blower wrote:
> Staffslug.org.uk have had meetings in this region, and Cheshire
> > LUG (sc.lug.org.uk) would have a meeting in Congleton or on
> > one of the pubs on the Congleton to Buxton road, if there was

> Sorry, that's still 30-odd miles (at a rough guess from the map), which is
> just too much.  Also, there are speed cameras all along the Ashbourne-Leek
> road (A523) which doesn't help.

Bah, no dedication you lot - an hour's drive to a LUG is not
unusual for us rural types (and, to be fair, probably what
a lot of Londoners go through to get to their LUGs ;)

Actually, talking of London, one of the Cheshire LUG members
regularly travels down to GL.LUG! And when Jon Masters lived in
the UK he regularly flew to the other side of the world to visit
other LUGs =o)

If you want meetings in Ashbourne I'm sure that announcing one
on this list (and Staffs, Cheshire, Sheffield, etc) could get people
down. How about using some special feature of the area to attract
people normally loath to travel?
Wi-fi cloud from yachts on Carsington Water perhaps?

Perhaps we need a Frappr map of membership to see where
the optimum place for a secondary meeting spot is :-)

Regards,

 - Richard

Richard Smedley,                                    richard at sc.lug.org.uk
Sustainable IT Consultant
                            ``Software Freedom for the Voluntary Sector''