[Sderby] Trouble with sane

Steve Tickle steve.tickle at clara.co.uk
Sat Nov 18 09:12:47 GMT 2006

I'm just trying to set sane up on my system, my scanner is a Lexmark
Z1250. The scanner is found by sane-find-scanner
and /proc/bus/usb/devices shows it too. However, the GIMP or XSane
reported there was no suitable scanner attached and scanimage -L also
reported no device.

/etc/sane.d/lexmark.conf had the following two lines

#usb /dev/usb/scanner0
usb 0x043d 0x007c

I uncommented the first line and scanimage -L reported my scanner
correctly but trying to access the scanner through the GIMP/XSane brings
up a dialog box saying
"Failed to open device 'lexmark:/dev/usb/scanner0':
Invalid argument"

I feel I'm nearly there but what's my problem? Is it something simple
like a permissions thing?

Any help gratefully received.

System is Ubuntu 6.06 btw
--