[Sderby] New Boy Needs Help

Steven Newbury s_j_newbury at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Sep 18 02:12:13 BST 2006

--- Steve Warren <sj.warren at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> Hi, my name is Steve and I am a complete novice when it comes to linux.

Welcome aboard!

> I have had Suse 10.1 for a while from Linux Format magazine, I currently
> dual boot with windows XP.
>
> I am trying to install some software namely Superkaramba and trying to
> get my wireless USB Adaptor to work. My hardwired broadband works fine.

Do you have any details about your wireless adaptor? Output of /usr/sbin/lsusb
will help identify it.

As for installing software anything from Suse you should be able to install
through their YaST interface I would think, it has been a long time since I
last used it though.  Otherwise, Suse software comes in RPM packages; if you
can find a version built for your Suse release download it and install it with
"rpm -Uhv packagename.rpm" on the command line as root or simply try opening
the package from konqueror/nautilus (depending on your desktop) and it should
ask you if you want to install it.

Other options include installing from source/and or or creating your own
packages.  Or you could try an RPM from another version of Linux, but you may
encounter problems that way...

> I have just received a copy of Ubuntu and I am considering swapping to
> that. Is that any easier to configure than the Suse? I prefer the look
> of the Suse 10.1.
You should be OK with Suse but the choice is yours.  Either should be fine for
you.

> Can anybody recommend a good book or website that goes through a
> step-by-step type of layout for a complete novice?
What do you want to achieve?

Steve