[Sderby] Newcomer to Linux

Hedley Quinton hedley.quinton at barroon.co.uk
Tue Feb 6 18:04:11 GMT 2007

Thanks to those who have helped me get over my posting hurdle.
(Actually feel something of a prat).

Being sick of Bill and all his works, with the launch of Vista, and
the inevitable pressures to 'upgrade' at a high cost from XP, I
decided now was the time to do what I have been promising myself for
several years - change to Linux.
A bewildering range of possibilities emerged. Of course I was seduced
by the apparent 'zero' cost of some of the offerings. Ubuntuu seemed
to me to be attractive, nice website, pictures of happy geeks
wallowing in Ubuntu. So I went for it. Downloaded several version of
Ubuntu, Kubuntu, did a disc image copy of each, popped them in turn
into my dvd/cd drive and attempted to run them to get the full
flavour of the Linux revolution. Result, zilch. Only one of them got
anywhere and that was Ubuntu 6.06 that froze after announcing that it
was loading device drivers. Lots of time spent trying all sorts of
ways to persuade them to go but of no avail.
More to this than meets the eye I thought! Why don't I just fork out
the cash and buy Suse 10.2 and be done with it? (or maybe Red Hat or
whatever). Commercial offerings, bound to work, or will they?
So I joined sderby LUG, they are bound to have the answer, I thought;
so come on you experts give me some clues.

Hedley Quinton