[Sderby] Newcomer to Linux

Dave Coulson david.coulson6 at btopenworld.com
Wed Feb 7 11:57:49 GMT 2007

Hedley
I started with the Hoary Hedgehog version of Ubuntu (5.10, I think) but
over a series of upgrades have now arrived at a working version of Edgy
(the latest). It still doesn't recognise my scanner and there seems to
be a Samba problem, but at least I can work on it. You really do need to
do your homework on the Ubuntu Wiki site and read the upgrade notes and
comments by users. Information on the use of apt-get (the Debian
installer, I think), and other commands is necessary. Check your
hardware against their database to see if it is supported. I don't
thi9nk I would be seduced into installing Ubuntu and Kubuntu at the same
time, but get one working and then think about the other. Incidentally
my Edgy installation seemed to be incomplete, but sorted itself out on
re-booting.

Hope that helps
David Coulson