[Sderby] Error messages in Ubuntu Edgy

Richard Smedley smedley358 at btinternet.com
Mon Jan 29 17:14:45 GMT 2007

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 16:46:25 David Coulson wrote:
> "invoke-rc.d initscript samba action "start" failed
> dpkg:error processing samba (--configure)
>
> Any suggestions would be welcome.

You have a problem with Samba - but you need to provide a little more
information. Presumably the upgraded version objects to something
in the config file which was acceptible to the old version.
However you could start with
dpkg-reconfigure -plow samba
and see what messages you get.

> Also my disc is rather full and I want to know how to identify any
> files from the earlier upgrades, that I can delete.

apt-get autoremove
apt-get autoclean
apt-get clean
will all help, the last one is all you need - provided you don't
need to hang on to any downloaded .debs. (see man apt-get)

You need to be root - on Ubuntu:
sudo -s
then enter your password
Don't forget to
exit
as root when you finish ;-)

 - Richard

Richard Smedley,                                         rs at m6-it.org
Technical Director,                                     www.M6-IT.org
                                              A PRINCE2 aware company

Web services * Back-ups * Support * Training & Certification * E-Mail
M6-IT CIC ``Software Freedom for the Education and Voluntary Sector''

M6-IT is a Community Interest Company, limited by guarantee
Registered in England & Wales,               Registration No: 6040154
11 St Marks Road, Stourbridge, West Midlands, DY9 7DT