[Sderby] Winmodem-Linmodem continuation 1

SiG s19nal at btinternet.com
Tue Mar 13 11:37:10 GMT 2007

lauri wrote:
> My thanks are due to:
>   SiG for suggestion that I should try to get info on the chipset. The
> results are in the accompanying attachment.
>   Steve Tickle for pointing out I could solve the .gz difficulty in
> linux. I eventually worked out how to reach the windoze file through
> linux and using the commands supplied extracted and ran the file.
>   Adam Armstrong for affectionate reminder of NETiquette.
>
>  Picking up on a suggestion earlier this year I certainly have some need
> for linux education, particularly as I read elsewhere 'The command line
> rules. OK!' I dutifully typed in the command sequences that Steve
> supplied, but have no idea what is means and similarly don't understand
> what the scanout produced by scanModem means either.
> In the circumstances perhaps a software solution as to how I access the
> web is out of the question and I should seek a hardware solution ie buy
> an physical modem, although I realise that such a solution is anathema
> to programmers who have control over 'the command line'?
>
> Regards.
>
> Lauri

Laurie,

looking at that output, it looks to me like the chipset is a connexant
HSF modem:
CLASS="Class 0780: 14f1:2f00"
NAME="Communication controller: Conexant HSF 56k HSFi Modem"

I looked on the linmodem site and theres a link to here
http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/  for many connexant drivers.

I had a quick browse and there seem to be some reasonably step by stem
instructions at this link: http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/modemident.php

Down the left hand side there are links to the different drivers - if
I've interpreted your output correctly then you should be looking at the
"HSF (softmodem) driver. There are links to readme, installation etc etc
and (importantly) download.

The readme lists the hardware recognised by the driver, and includes:

#  PCI ID 14F1:{2F00,2F01,2F02,2F03,2F04}  sounds promising :)

so don't give up I think you're nearly there :)  You're running SUSE
aren't you? So the "Binary RPM package" method "A" should work (:S)

keep us posted
SiG:)