[Sderby] Re: Winmodem - Linmodem

lauri lauri at onetel.com
Fri Mar 30 11:38:42 BST 2007

Have followed up suggestions and ground to a halt.

 From Linuxant I chose Method A: Binary rpm package.

I guessed the {arch} meant 'architecture' and after identifying my chip
as AMD Athlon (tm) 64 Processor 3000+ which was described as being of
the x86 Family downloaded hsfmodem-7.60.00.02full-1.i386.rpm. This was a
zip file which unzipped into a subdirectory containing two files: the
rpm file and the License file.

I clicked the rmp file and it started to run, asked me to insert the
SuSE disc and then generated Error(InstTargetE-RrmDB-subprocess_failed).
As the next sentence reads "The Linux kernel can then be reconfigured by
running 'make menuconfig' under the kernel source directory (usually
/usr/src/linux)" I wondered whether the kernel needed updating and typed
'uname -r' as advised in the manual, but I was none the wiser as nothing
happened.

The final paragraph of the error report reads "Verify that the proper
options for your system are selected. Then compile and install your new
kernael ...., reboot the system using the new kernel and re-run
'hsfconfig'. error: %post(hsfmodem-7 60.00.02full-1) scriplet failed.
exit status 124.

This all looks very technical and having read elsewhere that interfering
with the kernel can have dire consequences, particularly as I have not
got into shells and command lines yet.

Where do I go from here? Is there something obviously wrong with what I
have described above?

Greetings,

Lauri