[Sderby] Edubuntu/ubuntu in schools/colleges?

Spatch spatchtadley at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 4 17:12:19 GMT 2008

> Hi All
>
> Just a query. Has anyone implemented a Edubuntu/Ubuntu based system in a
> school/college environment? Or does anyone know of such a system being used
> in a Derbyshire school? Reason for the query is that we are trying to bring
> the attention to the LEA about the benefits Edubuntu would give a
> school/college.
>
> I do recall a previous email querying this very topic but I can not find
> it, so apologies for repetition.
>
> Cheers Henryk Marszalek

The use of proprietary software in schools is one of my pet hates.

My kids go to primary school in Shropshire where they use Microsoft Office.
The kids come home and pester their parents to buy the software they're
using at school.

It's a real shame because they're locked into the Microsoft way of life by
the time they are aged 8.

The LEAs (and taxpayer) could save a mint if they switched to OpenOffice and
the parents would as well.

Al