[StAndrews LUG] which small linux for 486

standrews@mailman.lug.org.uk standrews at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Dec 17 09:22:01 2002

Hi I am looking for a linux install package(floppy based) for a 486 DX2
66MHz machine wihout a cd rom. I just want it set up to experiment with bash
and any other console based apps. Anyone know what dist to go for, I don't
yet have experience of building my own LINUX OS. I have setup a freesco
router using an old but servicable Elonex 486 33MHz for my own home network
with dial on demand, its a good system with the web admin from any machine
on my home network, It has run for months without a reboot. I am running
about 4 machines 2 win 98, 1 Red Hat 7.3 and my own machine which runs Linux
SUse 8.0 Win 2000 and XP. So I'm not frightened to get my hands dirty with
these type of projects. Any advice welcome. Regards Jim