[StAndrews and Fife LUG] Linux - Mandrake

David Tillotson standrews at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Feb 21 19:03:01 2003

In message <1045826959.3e560d8f7e2aa@www.uk.nx14.com>, Stuart Mc
Anderson <stuart@nx14.com> writes
>I've installed RedHat 8 on my systems. Its good, nice and easy _after we had a
>little disagreement about mount points_ and now I've just got around to
>installing SuSe 8.1 on the main computer.

Aah, the old RH problem - stuff the FHS and LSB, we do things /our/ way!

>And to date I'm only having one problem with it, i still haven't
>workout how to
>get it to share its internet connection with RedHat. Once I've done
>that then i
>can lI've a Mirco$oft free life.

Hmm, I was under the impression that YaST2 had a module to set this up.
I would suggest the manual tweaks required to do this, but SusE has a
reputation (along with RH and Mandrake) of having a config tool that
scraps any manual changes the next time it's run!

>> Installed Mandrake 9 of 2-CD set from Linux magazine.
>> what a superb installation, and now have my Alcatel ADSL modem working :o)

I have the full set of 3 ISOs if you'd like a copy of the 3rd disc
(actually, I have a redundant copy of disc 3, if you want it!)

>> home network with winXP pc also on the network.  I used Red Hat 7.2 before,
>> but Mandrake was so much easier and better.  I'm not sure what Red Hat 8 is
>> but I guess its just as good.

Or bad, depending on your POV :P
Personally I prefer Debian, but have a bit of a chicken and egg
situation with my ADSL router. Hence my use of Mandrake 9 here - I must
state for the record that I have never seen a distro with a simpler
installer (except Knoppix, but that's cheating :)  - it beats M$ Windoze
hands down (I had to do 3 re-installs of that POS this week!)

>> even closer now to ditching microsoft.

Well, M$ software kept me in a job (or did it?) for 3.5 years, so I
can't complain too much myself!
--
David Tillotson