[StAndrews and Fife LUG] Detecting Wireless Network Cards

Stuart McCulloch Anderson standrews at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Jul 16 20:23:01 2003

Hi,
I am trying to install an Belkin Wireless PCI Network Card 802.11b into my
desktop. I am having problem getting RedHat 9 to recognise and install the
card.
lspci -v detects the PCI card as

00:0a.0 Network controller: Linksys: Unknown device 8201 (rev 11)
        Subsystem: Accton Technology Corporation: Unknown device 3201
        I/O ports at e400 [size=256]
        Memory at dffff800 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1K]
        Expansion ROM at dffc0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
        Capabilities: [c0] Power Management version 2

/etc/pcmcia/config allready had the lines

	device "orinoco_cs"
	  class "network" module "hermes", "orinoco", "orinoco_cs"

but i added

        card "Belkin Accton Technology Wireless PCI Card"
	  version "Accton Technology", "PCI"
	  bind "orinoco_cs"

and also changed to /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia to
        PCMCIA=yes
	PCIC=i82365
	PCIC_OPTS=
	CORE_OPTS=

cardctl ident returns
no pcmcia driver in /proc/devices

I am not 100% positive that the PCIC in /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia should be i82365,
although that is the setting in all the examples I have seen. Any suggestions
on what is going on?

 N.B. I have _not_ done anything i have not said here so if i missed something
out that could be the problem.

 -S

ICQ#:  164219648                  MSN: stuand2k3@hotmail.com
AIM: stuand2000                   URL: http://mranderson.nx14.com