[StAndrews and Fife LUG] Linux and windows

brian.duncan@fife.co.uk standrews at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Jun 7 23:32:00 2003

Hi David, thanks.
see below

On Saturday 07 Jun 2003 23:00, David Tillotson wrote:
> In message <200306071450.59534."brian.duncan@fife.co.uk"@?>,
> "brian.duncan@fife.co.uk" <?@?.?.invalid> writes
>
> >My WinXP system kind of died (i.e. trhe networking side of it just
> >seemed to not want to communicate) so now I've set up a Win98 PC from
>
> If you're using an Intel NIC, you'll have to re-install the drivers
> after a Windows Update(tm) - This bit me at work when one of the PCs
> stopped seeing the network for ~20 minutes at a time!

its a Relatek interface card.

> >bits and pieces I had around.  now I can't get access to internet and
> >I'm sure its to do with the firwall (shorewall).  I've tried switching
> >all off but to no avail by playing with different rules . I did a flus=
> >and then tried to set up a rule to allow all.
>
> A flush and reload of rules /should/ rule out the firewall chains being
> responsible (unless the masqing is seriously fscked!)

the last time I had a problem the note I have in my notebook is:
"iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -j MASQUERADE"

I thought that this was the solution but I tried that and it did not make=
 a difference
I don't recall how I managed to get this=20

> >the Win98 PC can use samba to view the folders on the linux box so I
> >know the network is functioning.
> >
> >I'm looking for some advice to set up the firewall to allow the Win PC
> >192.168.1.252 to get access to the internet. I also did try Internet
> >Connection Sharing wizard in MDK Control panel but it doesn't make any
> >difference. anybody any suggestions (ip_forward is set to1 )
>
> As a quick test of whether it's a Windows problem, try booting a Knoppi=
> CD. If that can get out (with the appropriate config), the error is
> definitely in Windows, and not the firewall. If not, then check all the
> settings on the firewall ("iptables -L" should list all your currently
> active chains. I would suggest running iptraf or ethereal, but analysin=
> the output requires slightly more magic than SCSI termination IME :)

Knoppix ??   - guess I'd better get onto Google :o)

> If you're using DHCP, check that the daemon is feeding the correct
> default gateway to the clients. If you're using static IPs, check that
> you have the gateway set to the right IP (same issue as for DHCP.)
> This used to be a favourite of mine when returning from holiday - some
> prat would have set up a new (or re-installed) PC using documentation
> that was >3 years out of date, resulting in using the accountants lapto=
> as the default gateway (the old IP selections were totally bizarre.
> Until I fixed them we had 192.168.2.[4,9,15,45,105,176,192,201,202,203]
> with 15 as the gateway!)
I think the gateway address is correct