[StAndrews and Fife LUG] Linux and windows

David Tillotson standrews at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Mar 5 07:51:01 2003

In message <200303042027.13903.brian.duncan@fife.co.uk>, brian duncan
<brian.duncan@fife.co.uk> writes
>recently installed Mandrake 9 on a new PC and all went really well on
>the initial installation.
>managed to recover almost, except that my Win XP can't access through
>Linux now.
>from Linux I can ping Win XP pc but can't do it the other way.  I'm not
>sure whether the problem
>is on the Linux side or Windows side (I've dabbled a bit and made
>things worse etc but back to normal now)
>
>any suggestions ?

I assume you have something like this:

-------        -------        ------
|WinXP|--------|Linux|--------|'Net|
-------        -------        ------
x.x.x.2   eth  x.x.x.1  ADSL? 0.0.0.0

Double check you IP addresses - Linux tends to use a wider subnet mask
IME, so a typo might not be so obvious (eg 192.168.1.2 instead of .2.1)

>I also downloaded WEBMIN, which looks OK and now try to use Shorewall
>Firewall, but get the following error ?
>Failed to start firewall :
>Determining Zones...
>   Zones: net masq loc
>Validating interfaces file...
>   Error: Duplicate Interface eth0

Not used shorewall - I prefer a directly controlled iptables script.
Have you checked the .conf file - I have seen some scripts attempt to
activate the interfaces (not the right place to do that IMHO)
The shorewall thing could be the cause of your problem above - check
that your LAN range is classed as local.

>ifconfig shows only one eth0 interface.

I suspect that the duplicate is in the "interfaces file", wherever that
may live. I'll maybe have a look at the shorewall package (I can
guarantee that a customer will want to use it!)
--
David Tillotson