[StAndrews and Fife LUG] Linux - Mandrake

David Tillotson standrews at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Mar 8 12:33:18 2003

In message <200303080957.12619.brian.duncan@fife.co.uk>, brian duncan
<brian.duncan@fife.co.uk> writes
>but in my eagerness to investigate :o((  the true wonders of Linux I seem to
>have screwed up my network connection.  my WinXP can't see the internet
>connection on Linux server.  I can ping both computers from each other so
>I know the network is alive and working.

It may seem obvious, but have you set the MDK box as the default gateway
on the Windoze system? This was a major "gotcha" for me when migrating
from a WinProxy system to a decent Linux firewall at work.
It may also be worth checking that IP forwarding is enabled (I would
recommend doing this via the Mandrake Control Center, as I have seen
manual configs screwed by this tool in the past!)
On a similar topic, do you have a reasonably secure firewall ruleset?
IIRC MDK comes with Shorewall, but I've always preferred a decent
iptables script so that I know what is going on.
--
David Tillotson