[StAndrews and Fife LUG] Linux - Mandrake

brian duncan standrews at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Mar 9 13:46:02 2003

I accidentally dicovered that I could use MSN messenger but no Browser or=
 FTP.

therefore it's down to Linux.  I can't see where IP forwarding should
be set in MDK control panel.

I ran an external web site to check for bad ports and it seemed to show a=
ll OK, but=20
I will have to check the settings of the firewall.

regards Brian

On Saturday 08 Mar 2003 12:32, David Tillotson wrote:
> In message <200303080957.12619.brian.duncan@fife.co.uk>, brian duncan
> <brian.duncan@fife.co.uk> writes
>
> >but in my eagerness to investigate :o((  the true wonders of Linux I s=
eem
> > to have screwed up my network connection.  my WinXP can't see the
> > internet connection on Linux server.  I can ping both computers from =
each
> > other so I know the network is alive and working.
>
> It may seem obvious, but have you set the MDK box as the default gatewa=
> on the Windoze system? This was a major "gotcha" for me when migrating
> from a WinProxy system to a decent Linux firewall at work.
> It may also be worth checking that IP forwarding is enabled (I would
> recommend doing this via the Mandrake Control Center, as I have seen
> manual configs screwed by this tool in the past!)
> On a similar topic, do you have a reasonably secure firewall ruleset?
> IIRC MDK comes with Shorewall, but I've always preferred a decent
> iptables script so that I know what is going on.

--=20
brian.duncan@fife.co.uk