[StAndrews and Fife LUG] Linux - Mandrake

David Tillotson standrews at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Mar 9 14:08:01 2003

In message <200303091346.23103.brian.duncan@fife.co.uk>, brian duncan
<brian.duncan@fife.co.uk> writes
>I accidentally dicovered that I could use MSN messenger but no Browser or FTP.
>therefore it's down to Linux.  I can't see where IP forwarding should
>be set in MDK control panel.

OK, looks like MDK have screwed up again!
What's in /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward ? This should be non-zero
(usually "1") if IP forwarding in enabled (also requires kernel support,
but it is in all stock kernels I have seen.) The fact that MSN messenger
works would indicate that you're forwarding OK. This leaves the fireball
rules (blocking TCP < 1024 ?), or Windoze looking for a proxy.
--
David Tillotson