[Fife Linux Users Group] Meeting Marketing

Jim McLaren Jim at blackfingernail.com
Thu Aug 4 23:14:58 BST 2005

On Thursday 04 August 2005 22:22, Barrie Dempster wrote:
> > I did post in the forums
> > that we run Linux courses, but the postings disappeared in the website
> > changes.
>
> No way that happened! the website is completely stable, never breaks
> never changes! :P
>
> Can you repeat the info here - I didn't catch it last time.

No problem.

Well, I work part time for Glenco Development Solutions who were the
commercial arm of Glenrothes College. We are now part of the IT institute of
Adam Smith College, and I suspect Glenco as an identity will disappear in the
next 18 months or so, as we are very much a commercial square peg being
rammed into the round hole of an academic structure. However, I am not here
to talk politics, so I'll stop now :-)

Our website is being redone (http://www.glenco.org) so the current offering is
a bit out of date. We offer courses in Linux admin, and Open/Star Office. The
Linux courses are taught by yours truly and are based on the LPI syllabus.
I'm qualified to LPIC1 and am working towards LPIC2, although that appears to
be considerably tougher. As I said earlier I am co-ordinating a project to
introduce OSS into SME's in this area. This is European funded, and is being
run over 3 years. We are just starting out, and so I am in the process of
drawing up plans and so forth. To give you an idea of the sort of thing I
hope to be doing, take a look at OpenAdvantage
(http://www.openadvantage.org), as they are doing something similar. I may
well take you all up on offers of help as I see how things develop, so thanks
for offering.

I had hoped to get to the last meeting, but my other job (arable farmer) got
in the way with harvest starting :-)

--
Jim