[Fife Linux Users Group] LUG Meetings

James Eaton-Lee james.mailing at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 23:57:31 GMT 2005

Hi, all.

After this month's fairly low key meeting (those of us who were around
turned up, stood around to see if anyone else would turn up, and then
given the lack of people, anywhere to sit, or anything to do, left) I
think we need to re-think where we're holding meetings and how we market
them - although the venue we're using at the moment has great potential
for large-scale meetings, it has a couple of significant disadvantages,
most namely:

* It's quite a long way from civilisation, which makes it:
- An intimidating place to go for new members, and:
- Hard to get to for some
* The 'nice' part of the venue (the bar/meeting area) frequently appears
to be locked
* It's quite lonely and intimidating with few people

I think that until we have specific need for a large venue (with place
for projectors, tables, equipment, etc), we should go back to meeting in
a pub - the first thing we (generally) do is either eat, drink, or think
about procuring food and drink, and if we meet in a less formal, public
place, we'll both be able to do this easily and make ourselves much more
approachable.

Once we're big enough to warrant seriously organising events (talks,
presentations, etc), we need to do this too - but with an average of
four of us attending meetings, it just doesn't seem like there's much
point at the moment.

This said, then, would people like to meet in a venue in the Glenrothes
area, such as Brewsters? I think with a regular supply of food in a
public, populated area, we'd both have better (& better attended)
meetings and be more likely to attract new members.

Any comments?

 - James.