[Fife Linux Users Group] Fife Lug Meetings

James Eaton-Lee james.mailing at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 18:50:59 GMT 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 11:47 +0000, Gilbert wrote:
> I agree with you, however we also must bear in mind that for all previous
> meets the Forum was clearly stating the location and it doesn't take two
> minutes to locate it using the web, so I think it probably boils down to lack
> of motivation/transport/interest. I rather like the informal nature of the
> meets and it gives the attendees (like me) the opportunity to have questions
> answered way faster than scouring the web to hopefully find the answer.

Possibly, possibly not - it's all well and good pre-announcing a venue
(or, indeed, keeping the same one,a s we have been doing), but that
isn't the only factor - if our venue is (as I suspect is the case)
intimidating and hard to get to, there are plenty of reasons for people
not to come; a public place, in a pub, closeby, where people can turn up
and disappear without being too conspicuous, and where they aren't
afraid of being tied up and eaten by long-haired linux hippies is far
more likely to gain participation than (no offence!) a warehouse in the
middle of nowhere!

> So I reckon that even if we source the best venue there's only gonna be a
> handfull because of the lack of commitments. One the one hand you want to
> organise some sort of half descent meeting but some people don't like to go
> to something that looks like "work" (I by this I mean talking technical and
> so on) but for some other it is simply a bit of good time spent with (oh
> goodie) folks that have the same kind of hobby/motivation/understanding as
> you in this world of mostly clueless/careless punters. So for me the Fife lug
> is great and I see/learn/absorb a lot at these meetings.

Absolutely - talking and spending time around other people is, was, and
always shall be an important part of LuG meetings - even edlug have this
one right! ;)