[Fife Linux Users Group] Ubuntu Install

Jim McLaren Jim at blackfingernail.com
Wed Apr 26 11:10:25 BST 2006

On Wednesday 26 April 2006 09:55, John A Thomson of Roundtrip Solutions
Limited wrote:

> Finally getting around to doing a bit of Linux... well started with an
> install of Ubuntu!
>
> Some quick advice on the partitioning part of the Ubuntu install....
> 80Gb hard drive. Ubunutu will be the sole operating system. No need to dual
> boot. Should I just accept Ubunutu defaults or should I manually tweak the
> partitions. If the later, what should I do?

I usually create a separate /home partition so that if I need or want to
reinstall I won't lose any data or personal settings.

> What else do I need to do once it is all installed?

Usually not much. Ubuntu is (IME) the best at detecting hardware etc.

> Thinking of getting a wireless PCI card for the desktop. Are there any
> particular cards people recommend or chipsets that are favoured?

Again in my experience, Netgear are usually well supported, but do check
before you buy.

--
Jim