[Fife Linux Users Group] Ubuntu Install

David Tillotson pinky at acmelabs.co.uk
Thu Apr 27 18:34:54 BST 2006

> http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_ubuntu_5.10_p2
>
> That's quite similar to my setup, although my / is 10 gig, my swap is
> 500meg and instead of a /var I have /home take up the rest of the disk.

Personally, I tend to go for ~5GB for /, 2GB for /var, as much for swap as
required (I still go with the 2xRAM), and the rest for /home.
Logic for this layout:
/ shouldn't need to grow too much, unless you're installing massive stuff
in /usr
/var should be separate, to avoid massive logs blocking the system
/home separate to allow for the usual "keep user data safe" reasons

On servers, I also tend to use /home/$service for service data (eg
/home/www for web sites). IMHO the current "accepted standard" of /var/www
for Apache is crazy (see logic of /var partition above).