[Fife Linux Users Group] Ubuntu Install

John A Thomson of Roundtrip Solutions Limited john at roundtripsolutions.com
Sat Apr 29 12:12:51 BST 2006

Hi Barrie et al,

Cheers for enlightening me again to what was done on the laptop. As I said,
us bloody newbies know nothin'!

Interesting view on swap. I'll maybe go inbetween and make it 1Gb - the same
as the real memory.

So let me see:

/boot		100Mb		ext2		- disk space is cheap so
made it a bit bigger just in case!
/		30Gb		ext3		- everything and its granny!
/home		10Gb		ext3		- safe haven for all my
files
NA		1Gb		swap		- the happy medium!

I'm keen to make it simple to set-up but robust enough to recover from a
serious issue that requires a reinstall.

Let the flaming begin :-).

Found this guide on Linux partitioning and it is pretty good:
http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-mini/Partition.html

Well worth bookmarking for the future newbies who have some basic IT Pro
knowledge. It has answers to many of the questions I've been asking here and
loads more..... Now I know the answers I can get on with the install.

Thanks again everyone. It is nice to see an active thread on the group.

Many thanks and regards

John A Thomson

Managing Director
Roundtrip Solutions Limited
15 Freuchie Mill, Freuchie, Cupar, Fife KY15 7JL
t: +44 (0)1337 858 826  -  +44 (0) 131 208 1826
http://www.roundtripsolutions.com