[Fife Linux Users Group] Ubuntu Install

John A Thomson of Roundtrip Solutions Limited john at roundtripsolutions.com
Sat Apr 29 22:29:38 BST 2006

My head hurts :-).

... Still thinking about what will be best for me!

One good things I've have two partition defined (in my head):

/boot		100Mb			ext2
/swap		512Mb			ext3

I've reduced the size of swap after reading the guide at
http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-mini/Partition.html and considering Barrie's
earlier comments.

Since this will be a development server, I'm now considering if a /var
partition would be a good safe guard. Don't want those log files filling up
root and causing grief on the machine.

Who'd have ever thought that partitioning could be such a difficult
decision! .... And they said the world of Windows was bad!

As an aside, and since I've got your attentions, what modem would you
recommend using? Want to have a play about with dial-up, faxing, etc later
on down the line. I've thrown in a modem based on the Intel 836EP chipset
for the time being but I suspect this isn't all that good a choice! However,
all the other modems I've got kicking about look to be an even worse choice.

Hope everyone is having a good holiday weekend. Some of us are working on
Monday!

Many thanks and regards

John A Thomson

Managing Director
Roundtrip Solutions Limited
15 Freuchie Mill, Freuchie, Cupar, Fife KY15 7JL
t: +44 (0)1337 858 826  -  +44 (0) 131 208 1826
http://www.roundtripsolutions.com