[Fife Linux Users Group] Application Recommendations?

Barrie Dempster barrie at reboot-robot.net
Sun Apr 30 11:05:12 BST 2006

On Sun, 2006-04-30 at 10:51 +0100, John A Thomson of Roundtrip Solutions
Limited wrote:
> Morning All,
>
> Moving things along ....
>
> I'm sure there will be some religious wars in the answers. Naming the
> application will be enough as this is a simple straw-poll.
>
> What are you're preferred applications for:
>
> 1. Web browsing
> Firefox?

Or Opera, there are also other browsers such as konqueror. Try running
links and lynx for command line browsers ("links -g" for command line
with graphics!)

> 2. Email
> Thunderbird?

Evolution if you want to use Exchange

> 3. News Aggregator inc RSS & Atom support

Theres tons of those, I just use web based tools

> 4. IM Client
GAIM does MSN/Yahoo/AOL/ICQ/Jabber....

> 5. Bit Torrent Client

Lots of those, I like mldonkey (which also runs on Windows) as it runs
as a service and opens a few ports which you can use to control it using
a GUI/telnet or a browser. mldonkey also does the other P2P networks
gnutella etc...

> 6. Media Players
Xine, mplayer, VLC + lots more - down to personal preference with these

> 7. Dare I ask.... AV or don't we bother since the virus writers only
> write Windows apps!?!

clamav, but I've never bothered with AV on Linux as there are so little
you can check for most of them by hand. I'm not an AV fan at all though
I don't think they are much use if the user of the machine is aware of
how to handle untrusted code.

You can search with synaptic for other applications that are in the
Ubuntu repositories.
(Click System -> Administration -> Synaptic Package Manager)

You can also find lots of other software on freshmeat.net and
sourceforge.net
Generally you want to find a ".deb" package of the software so you can
install it easily on Ubuntu.

--
With Regards..
Barrie Dempster (zeedo) - Fortiter et Strenue

              - http://reboot-robot.net -

"He who hingeth aboot, geteth hee-haw" Victor - Still Game