[Fife Linux Users Group] Re: Fife LUG Website

James Eaton-Lee james.mailing at gmail.com
Fri May 5 20:32:23 BST 2006

On Fri, 2006-05-05 at 10:53 +0100, Stuart Anderson wrote:
> I know Johns server rejected the email cause mx.iduniken.com isn't a
> really domain, what i don't know is why it even came up? My postfix host
> name is a.mx.iduniken.com and my computer host name is iduniken.com so
> I'm not sure whats going on? Anyone got any clues for me?

Looking at the function wordpress uses to send mail from a very very old
copy of wordpress I have laying on my server (which, I hasten to add,
isn't running - I don't even have php installed!), the function
wordpress uses to send mail does this:

                $headers = "MIME-Version: 1.0\n" .
                        "From: " . get_settings('admin_email') . "\n" .

get_settings does a "SELECT option_value FROM $wpdb->options WHERE
option_name = '$setting'" in order to grab the e-mail address to send
from, so I'd assume that the offending e-mail address is stored in the
options table of your mysql database.

I'd imagine if you fire open a mysql console (mysql -u root -p), type
"use WORDPRESSDATABASE;" and do a "Select * from options where
option_name = 'admin_email';" (or browse the table with phpmyadmin or
similar, if you have a graphical dbadmin tool), you'd find that the
option_value column was set to www-data at mx.iduniken.com and that that's
where it's coming from.

It may be that there's an interface in wordpress somewhere for changing
it, but if my guess is right, it'd be easy enough to "UPDATE options SET
option_value = 'mail at ddre.ss' WHERE option_name = 'admin_email';" -
again, in a mysql console after typing "use WORDPRESSDATABASE;". quit;
kills the console when you're done..

Hope that helps! :)

 - James.

--
  James (njan) Eaton-Lee | 10807960 | http://www.jeremiad.org
  Semper Monemus Sed Non Audiunt, Ergo Lartus - (Jean-Croix)

sites: https://www.bsrf.org.uk ~ http://www.security-forums.com
   ca: https://www.cacert.org/index.php?id=3